Recently I met a few biologists. I wanted to relate allergies of pollen with our measurements of air pollution. Pollen is not necessarily a pollutant but a natural contribution to our environment. It becomes a pollutant when the pollen reaches huge quantities due to the intervention of human regional design that focuses on the concentration of single species for urban or rural planning purposes. When in a cocreation process of healthy cities all these issues are relevant. Human influence is much more widespread than the simple registration of particulat matter.
Our discussion took a strange turn when I refered to our awareness driven multidisciplinary actions around core human values (sustainocracy). The biologists raised their sholders and claimed that nature would take care of us as a polluting species that causes its own anthropocene. Afterall the human being is a simple and temporary wrinkle in the evolution of life forms and will eventually be eliminated in the natural processes of cleaning up.
I refused to go along with this simplistic attitude of laisez faire, the reluctance that everything is outside our scope of influence anyway, which would give us as species the free ticket to do whatever we like. I asked the biologists what the purpose of life is if we are exempted from protecting and sustaining it? To my surprise their reaction was that life has no purpose at all. In their view the essence of life is useless, senseless and without any special contribution to anything. How could seemingly intelligent people, who had made it their scientific job to research lifeforms, come up with such statement?
There was no discussion possible and I left with the inner query to prove the contrary. Life in my view is the most valuable thing that the universe has produced, a miracle of dead material that groups together in a diversity of living formats. How can that be called meaningless and useless? But then we get to the question of its “purpose”. Why does life exist? What does it contribute?
When I studied the mechanisms of the first sparks of life in a specific environment, that moment when molecules group together and become a life form, just like that moment of our own individual conception, I had determined that unique and rare ability in the universe called “awareness” even at the most elementary level of our submolecular existence. It is this unique way energy and mass combine in vibrant frequencies that interact with their surroundings. As soon as this happens the molecular and energetic reality actually starts to exist. Something that we are not aware of does not exist. Awareness hence is a fundamental condition to elevate nothing into something. Life forms develop around awareness to feed, meet, breed, sense danger and love, react and make choices.
The purpose of life hence is the confirmation that the universe exists, that we exist and that we have reached a point to actually try to understand what existance really is. We can perceive, process and reflect about it. What use would a universe have if it is not conscious of its existence? It would cease to exist if there is no way to be able observe or sense it. Our evolution within life is based on the development of awareness, the processing of what is. In that sense life is the single purpose of any existence whether dead or alive. We need to protect life and develop our awareness as we live in order to observe the intensity of what it is to exist, not just as a human being but as a living self reflective universe. The purpose of life is the awareness that things exist.
I am aware so I exist. I am aware because I am alive. Life’s purpose is hence our proof of our existence and that of all living and non living forms.
The basics of life apply throughout all life forms
The universal reality of life has very specific patterns that are also applicable to the success of human society and organization formats. We have however never realized how it worked while we experimented with our evolution as species with a mentality of an upgrowing child.
The essence of life, already at molecular level, consists of a variation of our understanding of “deeper awareness driven bonding”. One can ask oneself what mechanism gets loose molecules to connect together into a format that becomes alive? In a unique series of STIR lectures (the secrets of life) I already showed the vibration properties of all molecules. Within this pattern of a large diversity of vibrations there is a unique, particular and rare potential of resonance that makes two or more molecules bond energetically into a functional relationship. They don’t fuse but “connect” forming a new entity that is not covered by our chemical table of elements. They become alive in the most basic form, the fundament of all living complexity. This happens only when the environmental conditions, vibration properties and proximity are optimum.
When we look with deep awareness at our surroundings with our own energetic awareness sensors (eyes, nose, ears, touch, etc) we recognize the evolution and the intercommunication of lifeforms with their surroundings through smells, colors, tasty gifts, shapes, etc. This intense mixture of communicative activity resonates between the diversity of species in a unique way, for feeding and reproduction, producing an ecosystem that is alive and sustains itself through core values. This natural selection produces the evolution of species, including us.
To human structures the same can be applied.
Sofar in the evolution of humankind we have encountered points of singularity at regional level but never as a species. They were mere catastrofes that ended up in our history books, often manipulated, romanticized, admired or misunderstood. For many thousands of years we could express our greed and competitive agression without sensing the limitations of our global environment. The Earth seemed to be so unlimitely large and abundant that our behavior and mentality just focused on the only thing we could do best: serve our self interest from a material and territorial point of view. Curiously this process is “normal”, despite its millions years and many generations of human beings coming and going. Life performs in four steps:
* growth (until colapse)
* chaos (competition)
* awareness (adaptation)
* harmony (symbiose)
Humankind has gone through the growth phase for many thousands of years. We encountered competition along the way but growth was predominant. As humankind grew the competition intensified. It became a battle beyond territorial bounderies not just for expansion of land but also resources.
The current size of our population worldwide and our devastating interaction with our surroundings, has reached a point of singularity of its own. Competition at this stage is lethal and devastating. Modern humankind needs adaptiveness and change!
Out of this deeper awareness new human networks and organizations develop that are better suited for the next phase in the evolution of humankind, the era of awareness based adjustments. This new humankind has outgrown greed and focuses on productive harmonization with our surroundings through gamechanging innovation. The other part, the greed version, colapses and will disappear as a system not as a human condition to overcome.
Sustainocracy is based on clustering human deeper awareness around value driven cocreation communities. It is like those early molecules getting together in the right awareness environment to create the first living molecular entities. Human individuals connect in exactly the same way in sustainocratic ventures. It is called an awareness driven cocreation community, an ecosystem. Only people connect that reached the level of deep awareness. They understand how it works and take personal or institutional benefit.
In nature the ecosystem produces a balance. Every time the ecosystem is out of balance than counter measures appear that restore the balance again. We call this the law of opposites, or in human term: leadership. In our own awareness we refer to our ability to adjust, to modify our own behavior, creativity and organizational formats to suit our own evolution best.
Based on this resonance we can create value driven communities of people that resonante around a specific topic of sustainable wellness. We create a purpose to bring those people together in a living process of harmonization. In Sustainocracy we defined the 5 core values of life. When we find unbalance in these core values there are always people who sense this and look out for bonding energies to seek for new harmonizing steps. We call this dynamic awareness based clustering.
This awareness based evolution of humankind has new behavioral patterns, a new society format and its own vocabulary. Sustainocracy is a practical and real precedent of such evolution.
The inspiration came from a Dutch region referred to as “Rijk Dommel en Aa”. The region is not formally registered as such. It comprises two mid sizes cities and 5 smaller communities. It is surrounded by canals and rivers which make it a rectangular territory.
This confinement had been for some years a place to develop regional cocreation at government level. At one stage someone asked me to look at the region from a practical sustainocratic point of view. Two converging lines came together, governance and peer 4 regional sustainocratic development. How do we unite those lines into a functional format that enhances the combination rather than drive them apart?
Governance tends to deploy itself around “files”. These files normally live a life of their own within the context of current political-economic steering mechanisms. Rijk Dommel and Aa had its own traditional files for the region:
- Energy and Water
- Nature and Recreation
- Housing and living
- Farming and Food
The focus that government had agreed among themselves was to facilitate the population’s spare time (recreation, sport) development.
When Sustainocracy started to look at the region, that hosts 400.000 residents with an multiple equivalent of regular visitors to festivals, activities, recreation, tourism and special events, it introduced the 5 core values for regional development (health, safety, basic needs, self resilience and self awareness). At provincial level we are developing the Health Deal, inspired on the Healthy City commitment in Eindhoven through AiREAS. During a first multidisciplinary encounter the people present were asked to come up with ideas to simply enhance this particular member of the leading core values: Health.
In the cocreation exercize 6 areas of attention were defined:
- How can we involve all people and institution into this health driven process? (involve)
- What are the impediments and problem spots in the region? (impediments)
- What are the admirable initiatives that can be highlighted and supported? (initiatives)
- What experimental initiatives can we define? (experiments)
- Can we organize events for people to experience what we want to achieve with their help? (events)
- Let’s investigate in the region what residents feel about the subject? (research)
Health, files and areas of attention
With “health” as leading topic the files and areas of attention could easily be combined into a matrix.
Just one meeting was needed to populate the matrix with multidisciplinary teams that develop the ideas into projects with the corresponding commitments.
When a project is defined it is seconded by all and deliveres a measurable result that can be related to the higher sustainocratic purpose, Health in this case. Since all key partners are available to commit resources the project can get rapidly equiped with the finances, technology, human creativity and hands on power to get into an execution phase. The process can be repeated as often as needed in the region with increasing involvement of all stakeholders together.
The process is fast, dynamic and very effective. One of the polical executives mentioned with a degree of surprise: “In one afternoon extremely difficult and complex projects are defined here and committed, what normally takes us 30 years!”
Many regions around the world are now coming to see how we do this. India, China, central Europe, Turkey, etc are candidates for developing sustainocratic platforms soon.
We tend to work in three steps with them in Eindhoven:
- Come over to learn and get inspired
- Come over to discuss how to implement it within their own regional complexity?
- Implement locally and establish a cooperation to work together
That is how Sustainocracy expands by combining governance with new guidance based on core human values and integral societal involvement.
What started as a one man’s awareness breakthrough, that health and safety are natural core human values which stand above political, social and economic choices, evolved into an evolution of human societal development and multidisciplinary commitment to sustainable human development. Let us go through this step by step.
We all have a choice
We have a choice when awareness breaks through. When it does not then we remain trapped in a worldview imposed upon us by our reigning cultural surroudings and paradigm. It is as if nothing else exists or existed. The breakthrough opens our eyes to different realities and then the choice appears loud and clear. For me the choice was presented by life’s circumstances in two different occasions, the first in 1996, the second in 2003. The first time it affected me tremendously but did not pull me over the edge of making a definite choice, it just made me powerfully aware. The second time I made my definite and life changing choice. I became my own first Sustainocrat in a new world.
Our current social political – economical paradigm evolves around death
Our consumption based global and local economy is based on trade of dead things. In order to make a product we need to get our resources from the living world, kill it and convert it into a consumable. We have built large marketplaces called cities in which we display the dead stuff in abundance to give the population a permanent sense of abundance. We only see this abunbance but do not sense the destruction this killing does to our environment. The killing is not visible because it happens outside the city while the city itself has eliminated all lifeforms other than the consumption based interaction with the human species.
Exponential growth of the human population, combined with the focus on trade of dead materialism, caused an exponential growth of devastation of our natural living environment. And we all contribute to it through our labor activities and blind consumption, often unaware of our shared responsibility in the disappearance of life on Earth and eventually that of our own.
Sustainocracy evolves around life
Having defined the 5 core values of sustaining life in an evolutionary manner, which had started with the first two (health and safety) within my own breakthroughs, a new social interaction appears. The 5 core values of Sustainocracy are:
- Health – The living nature is always healthy. If not the unhealthy dies and gets absorbed into a new cycle of healthy life. When humankind produces death just for the sake of abundance it interrupts the cycle of life and produces an avalanche of death. We humans are part of that cycle so inevitable we develop our own destruction too. Focus on health however is an awareness issue. Most people take health for granted and only become aware when sick. Becoming sick is a way of nature to develop also health through the development of our defenses. But self inflicted sickness is antinatural and we don’t know how to cope with it. That’s why cancer and other horrible deceases affect us. We also see that the human immunity is in decline. Health is hence a leadership issue, not democratically choicen but a core responsibility!
- Safety – Without safety there would be no community. The whole essence to create a community in the first place is to get a better position for safety for all members. It does not only refer to physical integrity but also respect, equality, trust and cohesion among each other.
- Local resilience – Working together to fullfil the basic human needs such as food and housing is key to remain committed to the community. In Sustainocracy the 5 values are leading, as they are core human interests. The democratic part of Sustainocracy is not to chose direction yet to chose the priorities for innovative change together through dialogue and consensus. Our core values are leading, not our self interests around materialism, leading by trust in our abilities rather than fear for shortages.
- Self awareness – Withou the awareness breakthrough the choices cannot be made as they do not reveal themselves. Awareness driven cocreation is hence both a community leadership and educational core value.
- Three basic needs: we all need 1 kg for food per day, 3 kg of drinking water and 30kg of healthy air. I expressed it all in kilo’s for the sake of comparison. The quality of our basic needs has to be outstanding since our body consists of the same elements. When we manipulate or polute our basic needs, we do the same with our own living essential. Food to live is totally different from food to stock a supermarket to create a sense of abundance.
Transition from death to alive
The regions that gradually evolve into Sustainocracy through core values driven multidisciplinary cocreation platforms (such as AiREAS or FRE2SH or STIR Academy) have to go through an intense transition. This can only be done when the 4 pillars of the local community carry this responsibility together:
- Local government: territorial responsibility for infrastructure and public funds
- Local innovative entrepreneurship: developing creative solutions
- Science and education: providing knowledge to the processes
- Local citizens: social innovation, cultural adaptation and behavior
In order to help these fundamental pillars to interact on the basis of equality the tables are presided by an independent Sustainocrat. The sustainocrat makes sure the core values remain leading and that the multidisciplinary cocreation breaks through its abstract discussions and gets to project definitions and commitment of the diversity of resources with an expected result.
Both paradigms coexist and gradually the emphasys will transit from the money dependent trade and control system to the multidisciplinary cocreation. This coexistence is especially demanding for those executives in institutions that are active in both worlds. It becomes easier when Sustainocracy is seen as the regional process for value creation and the old system for value consumption. Looking for local cylcic balance between creation and consumption is a huge step forwards and produces measureable productivity, wellbeing and resilience. A new economic cycle appears…..
Read more (free download through open access):
Through our partner http://globalvisionsharing.net/ we were connected to this YES initiative. We are glad to share it through our network.
The YES Initiative
YES = YOUTH EUROPE SELF EMPLOYMENT
Building a network of cooperative enterprises for empowered employment and sustainable
More than 10 million young people in Europe are unemployed.
With 50%-60%, the rates are the highest in Spain, shortly followed by Greece, Portugal, Italy, France, UK. Traditional concepts fail to bring them into work and so a lot of our generations’ potential remains unused.
On the other hand, the way we work and live changes quickly and profoundly. More and more people are looking for jobs where they can involve all their creative potential and have a sense of purpose in their work. But still, a lot of young people are bound in jobs that restrict their potential through strict hierarchies and old-fashioned working styles, while others are pushed to work towards an early burnout in corporations serving profit as their only goal.
Creating entrepreneurial cooperatives can serve to combine the power of entrepreneurial drive to shape and change the world, and create employment, with the wisdom of co-creation and collective. The YES Initiative aims to inspire and support young people across Europe to join forces, and support each other to start founding cooperative enterprises to reshape the way we do business and work together, creating an economy actually serving society’s needs in a sustainable way. We aim to contribute to an ultimate vision of youth self-empowerment across Europe, e.g. through forming a network of self-governed initiatives or an umbrella cooperative to join the forces of ‘our’ generation.
Apply now for the YES Initiative Gathering in April 2016!
On 7-10. April 2016, the first YES Initiative Gathering will take place at Schloss Tempelhof Community, South-West Germany.
Be invited to embark on a learning journey together with us and set up a four-day laboratory for collaboration, developing concrete projects and a network of mutual support. We are looking for participants (age 18 to 30) from across Europe who are interested to start or support a cooperative and entrepreneurial project in their country, or internationally together with other participants.
Room and full (organic) board costs: 125 EUR for 4 days.
The YES Initiative Gathering is supported by the inspiring Swiss foundation Stiftung Wegweiser, which enables us to offer travel and accommodation stipends to our international participants, where needed.
Please visit www.stiftungwegweiser.ch to learn more about their work.
What to expect from this gathering:
• First of all, an open process with space for everything you bring – your questions, experiences, and ideas – and for deeply connecting with each other to seize the highest potential of the present moment together in a co-creative way;
• Applicable knowledge and experience shared by the YES Initiative Team, other expert contributors and all participants about cooperative entrepreneurship, social business and collaborative decision-
• Insights into the organizational structure, growth experience and daily life of the Schloss Tempelhof community, which has grown into a cooperative of almost 100 members over the past 5 years and employs about 40% of these in a number of small businesses and organizations within the
• Meet inspired people from all over Europe and more and form lasting personal connections to build a network of ongoing mutual support and inspiration.
You should apply to be part of this, if:
• You are actively interested or already engaged in founding an enterprise or cooperative to empower and employ yourself and other young people in your home country or country of residence, or would like to support such a project;
• You want to contribute your talent and energy into such a project going beyond old school hierarchical structures of organization and releasing the power of co-creation and collective
• You have experience with, or want to learn more about, how to co-create such a self governed, values-based cooperative enterprise with a social purpose;
• You are inspired by the vision of an international network or umbrella cooperative to bring together the energy and voices of ‘our’ generation while supporting local projects;
• You are between 18 and ~30 years old, from any European Union country, fluent in English language and can cover or fund-raise your travel and accommodation independently. (We have some funding support available for those who need it, please contact us as soon as possible.)
We strongly encourage teams to apply, who aim to create a project together in their home country.
Stay Connected: follow our regular news and updates:
https://www.facebook.com/YES-Initiative-595220683952570 , and get in touch via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The kick off of AiREAS in October 2012 marked a Milestone for me as founder of STIR and cofounder of AiREAS. It was satisfying to have been able to get to a multidisciplinary format in which the core value of regional health was leading, not politics or economy. And everyone was taking responsibility together in a Sustainocratic way.
Now, after 3 years, we have installed the basic network and developed some time of experience observing and interpretating air pollution data in relation to our exposure to it. Making visible the invisible was our first mission so we could try to understand the health hazards we were dealing with. We called this phase 1.
This phase was wrapped up with this publication oftered to for inspiration through the global publishing channels of Springer. We offer it free of charge in open access in order to reach an as large as possible audience in the world since air pollution is a major threat demanding our attention at all levels of society.
Enjoy! And hopefully you get inspired to do something with it.